A rich satisfying dish, full of goodness, can be served with country bread, or a simple green salad.
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or Olive oil spray, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 Courgette chopped
- 400g/14oz chopped tome
- 100g/3½oz green olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 30ml/1fl oz red wine vinegar or balsamic
- 1½ tbsp sugar or use liquid sweetner, or to taste
- handful flat leaf parsley chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 Aubergines chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the aubergines with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Heat some of the olive oil in a saucepan and brown the aubergine on a moderate heat for 10 minutes. When cooked, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the onion along with the celery and courgette then add tomatoes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the olives and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooled aubergine and the capers.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the red wine vinegar and sugar. Add this to the pan and cook for 10 minutes. It is ready when the red wine vinegar has been absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the chopped parsley and mix well.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to serve.
Can be served hot or cold !
Feel the desire to learn some new dishes, come along to on of my Cooking Classes