Vegan chocolate orange cake.
A moist cake, which can satisfy the most die hard ‘Chocoholics’.
8 oz. (200g) plain wholemeal flour
4 oz. (100g) vegan margarine
4 oz. (100g) raw cane sugar
1 tbs syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/3 pint (175ml) orange juice
2 tbsps baking powder
2 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tbsp orange peel, finely grated
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180 °C / 350 °F.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and syrup.
- In a jug, stir bicarb. of soda into orange juice and add to bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa and gradually stir into the bowl.
- Add orange peel. Spoon the mixture (which will be quite sloppy) into a medium sized square tin.
- Generously sprinkle the top with more sugar.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until cooked in the centre. You may have to cover the top of the cake, nearing end of cooking time, to prevent over browning.
- Cool briefly in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack.
Decorate with dusting of icing sugar, and orange slices dipped in dark chocolate, and a sprig of mint.